[alug social] Discrimination in action?

adam@thebowery.co.uk adam@thebowery.co.uk
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:01:03 +0000

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 02:00:33PM -0000, Jenny Hopkins wrote:

> >=20
> Don't you think it would be a pity to take something away from the wome=
n you will benefit from the course?  As I say, they have had an unfair ti=
me of it over the last 50 years, women in IT need a break.

Thing is, I am not trying to take anything away from the people who want =
to do
the course, all the other courses are open to anyone and there is no
discrimination there. Why is there no course for "Afro-Caribbeans only"?=20

I am extremely frustrated that I can't get education to help further my c=
areer
now, I have been told by the college that I can take the course starting
september this year but I would have to pay fees of over 350 quid! (if th=
ey
manage to get funding, if not I will have to pay =A31300, like thats goin=
g to be
a possibility for anyone claiming benefit)

I don't see whats wrong with campaigns to encourage all types of people o=
nto
these courses, just that it is wholey unfair in my eyes to discriminate
against who can and can't get further education.

Adam
--=20
jabberid =3D quinophex@jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem