[alug social] Discrimination in action?

MJ Ray mjr@dsl.pipex.com
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:41:51 +0000

On 2004-03-04 16:01:03 +0000 adam@thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> I am extremely frustrated that I can't get education to help further
> my career
> now [...]

I think you're exaggerating now. You can't get this education, but
there is much more out there. I know it's annoying to read but: do try
to keep a sense of proportion.

Personally, I take a very dim view of most modern qualifications and
the current direction of state education. So, I put my time and money
where my beliefs are and mentor a small number of people at any time,
since starting my own firm and only working 10 hour days. Recently, my
learners have included an electicity grid company librarian and an
audio system developer.

This is the first time I've written in public about this and I don't
look for new learners (usually... there's been one exception, but he
didn't seem that interested, so I let it reinforce my approach),
because I already do as much as I can cope with. Do any other ALUGgers
mentor? Do you take part in UK-wide mentor programmes?

It's sort of bizarre. At the same time, I'm a learner myself in
business practice, with a state-funded mentor. I think I'm still even
a UEA student, technically, but that's really got pretty confusing
lately.

--
MJR